I am delighted to welcome the students of Government College for Women University in the hostels. You will enjoy comfortable and meaningful stay in the hostels. The Hostels here provide study-friendly environment with sports and other facilities.
Full awareness and care is paid on the hygienic and quality of food at the economical charges on almost ‘no profit no loss’ keeping in view the health and welfare of residents in mind. Wardens ensure that the residents are given a homely and healthy atmosphere with total security. The provision for financial Assistance and food subsidy exists in hostels for the welfare of the needy residents.
It also becomes the main duty & responsibility of all the residents that they must keep the University campus free from polythene, liquor and smoke to ensure pollution free environment and refrain themselves to be the part of ragging menace to evade expulsion from institution.
I once more extend my best wishes to you all and wish you to enjoy a relaxed stay in the University Hostels for accomplishing your eventual goal but at the same time it is expected that you will lead a disciplined stay while complying with the rules of Hostels in letter and spirit and will not indulge in any act which may land you in any trouble and also casts a shadow over the fair name and fame of the Institution.
HOSTEL ON THE CAMPUS
A hostel is a home away from home. Aware of the special needs and requirements of students, who come from far-flung places to this center of learning, Government College for Women University tries to provide them a safe, secure and affordable accommodation.
The University Hostels take pains to give its students a neat and clean environment and a comfortable place to live in. There are Wardens/Hostel Staff on duty round the clock. Hostel has a dining hall and canteen, common room, laundry area, lawns, water coolers and water filtration plant and mess. The mess provides a balanced diet at reasonable rates.
Architecturally, the hostels are aesthetically laid out with plenty of open space and a lot of greenery. The rooms are comfortable, fitted with fan, lights, emergency light. Each wing of the hostel has several verandahs and balconies. Comforts are important which are trying to provide at the best of available resources.
Man is a social animal and needs to interact with others. The resident students are encouraged to participate in cultural and social activities. The inmates of a hostel are encouraged to live in harmony, like one big family, lending each other a helping hand whenever required, mutually cooperating to make hostel life a rich and fruitful experience.
There is no doubt that during these formative years in the hostel, life-long bonds are created and friendships cemented. This is a time, which will stand out in the memory as a golden period. University experience is an important milestone in an individual’s life, the stepping-stone to an adult life of responsibility and care. The hostels try to provide an ideal atmosphere for a healthy, all round development of personality and a launching pad for a glorious career ahead.
Living in a hostel provides high degree of integrity, consciousness, cooperation, tolerance and hard work for a bright future and good image of our institution.
RULES FOR THE RESIDENT STUDENTS
(Effective from the 1st day of opening of the University after the summer vacations)
- 1. All rights of admission to the University hostels are reserved with University authorities. No student can claim admission as a right.
- 2. Orders/decisions notified from time to time by governing bodies,
a) Admission to the students in the University hostels will be made by Hostel Coordinator. The students are required to submit to the department concerned, forms for admission to the hostel within 3 days from the date of admission in the concerned Department, for allocation of hostel accommodation .
b) Admission will be based on merit come distance based.
- A student may be refused admission if her conduct during her stay in hostel was not satisfactory or she was a defaulter.
- Any student alleged to be involved in any misconduct will be liable to be suspended from the University and on proving the commission of misconduct the student shall be liable to be expelled from the University.
- Day scholars are not eligible for admission to the hostel. In case a student, after being admitted to the hostel joins service/profession or ceases to be a student of the dept., or ceases to be eligible for hostel accommodation.
- An incorrect statement/address filled by the student in the hostel admission form would result in cancellation of admission and confiscation of securities.
- No student will be permitted to stay in the hostel who has completed her graduation in one subject.
(a) Any student, who has not cleared (dropped/failed) his examination, will not be entitled to the hostel facility in future. Information has to be sent by concerned Chairperson to the Warden.
(b) Any student who is not promoted to the next class will not be eligible for hostel accommodation.
- Only a bonafide student will be permitted to avail hostel facility and for that purpose the Warden concerned will send quarterly list of the residents of a particular Department for verification by the head of the Department.
- The hostels (including messes/canteens and common rooms) shall remain closed during the summer vacation for a period as specified by the D.S.W. The residents will vacate the hostel rooms within 3 days of termination of their examination but may be permitted to lock their belongings inside
- Foreign students studying in University Departments and who are not in the final year may be allowed to stay in the hostel during the summer vacation on continuation charges. Final Year
foreign students may be permitted to stay on payment of daily charges on the recommendation of Dean Foreign Students.
- Residents shall see the DSW/Warden in the Office during the fixed hours only.
- See that no damage is done to the hostel property.
- Make every effort for peaceful co-existence maintaining the decorum.
- Observe all hostel rules meticulously in letter and spirit. Any violation of rules and directions will be subject to strict disciplinary action, which in extreme case/s may lead to expulsions, forfeiture of the securities of such resident and her right to future admission. All residents of hostels in whatever capacity they may be staying in the hostel shall be bound to observe hostel rules and shall be liable to fine or other disciplinary action for any violation of hostel rules similar to that of regular student residents.
- Residents should be properly dressed while going to common room, dining hall or hostel office/functions, failing which it will be considered an offence and a fine may be imposed as decided by the Warden.
- Residents should not keep cash or jewellery or other valuables in their rooms. The risks and responsibility for the safety of their belongings including Mobile Sets/Laptop/Desktop/Audio system will be entirely that of the residents. Use of strong and reliable lock is recommended.
- If an outsider is found illegally living in the room of a resident, the resident shall be liable to
(a) expulsion from the hostel
(b) forfeiture of securities
(c) a fine of minimum of Rs. 1000/
(d) daily charges from the date of illegal occupation of the room to be determined by the Warden and
(e) be debarred for seeking admission in any of the University hostels and this will be communicated to his/her parents/guardian.
- 20. In case of non-payment of dues in time or violation of any hostel rule by a resident, the Warden may get her room locked or opened for possession without any liability whatsoever. The belongings shall be transferred to the store. If the dues are not cleared within 3 months of the taking of possession of the room, the belongings may be auctioned and the proceeds adjusted against the payment of the hostel after one year.
- Every resident shall be responsible for the safety of the furniture/other articles given to her. Furniture is neither to be removed from one room to another nor be carelessly kept outside the room to be exposed for damaged. Anybody indulging in this practice will be liable to a disciplinary action (including fine of minimum Rs.200/-per article). Replacement of a cot/chair/table, repair of almirah lock, bed box channel etc. during the session will be done only on permission of higher authorities
- (a) No vehicle without stickers, issued by the Warden & DSW Office, should be permitted to be parked in the hostels.
(b) Vehicles of guest will not be allowed to be parked inside the hostel.
- The hostel will not be responsible for any theft ,damage and loss of a vehicle /mobile set/desktop/computer/audio/video system etc
- In order to curb the drug menace in the hostels, those found indulging in taking intoxicants, drugs and any such banned materials shall be expelled straightway from the hostel. They shall not be given admission in any other hostel in future.
- The telephone is meant for office and emergency use.
In case of emergency the residents may use the phone (on prescribed charges) after making proper entries in the register meant for the purpose.
- Acts of indiscipline, misbehaviour, gambling, use of intoxicants in the hostel premises including rooms shall be severely dealt with. A resident guilty of any of these shall be liable to expulsion or a minimum fine or both. Any resident found in possession of any weapon shall be liable to fine or expulsion and the matter shall be reported to the Police.
- All rooms (including almirahs and belongings can be opened for inspection by the higher authorities at any time.
- Any student opening a room by breaking the hostel lock or seal or window-panes etc. shall be liable to a fine. In case this kind of conduct is repeated, students will be liable for expulsion from the hostel.
- Before leaving the hostel, every resident shall obtain clearance from the Warden and personally hand over the charge of the room and hostel property to the Warden or respective authority on duty. The resident will be fully responsible for any damage/loss of property. Repair charges for any damage to the furniture will have to be paid by the resident along with a minimum penalty of Rs. 500/-for not handing over the charge.
- It will be obligatory for the the students to take gate pass one day before going to homes, in case of no gate pass no students will allow to enter the hostel and strict action will be taken by higher authorities
- For the proper democratic functioning of the hostel, several committees such as Wing Leaders, Mess Committee etc, will be formed in hostel. The committees will work closely in full cooperation and coordination with the Warden to enhance the image of each hostel. These committees will also make new suggestions to the administration for further improvement in the hostel and ensure the proper discipline and decorum. Hostel will have two blocks prefects (one from each block of hostel) who will be entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring cleanliness and up-keeping/maintenance of essential services and infrastructure of the respective block.
- Rooms will be allotted by the governing authorities
(a)All students will be provided hostel accommodation on sharing basis only.
(b)A resident cannot shift from her allotted room to another room within the hostel without the permission of the Warden. Defaulters will be fined minimum Rs. 500/-.
(c)Residents shall keep the hostel identity cards, duly attested by the Warden, with them and will present these on demand by the authorities. The card should be carefully preserved, as no duplicate card will normally be issued. In case of loss, it will be issued on payment of Rs. 50/-
d)Lamination of the Hostel Identity Cards shall be done to avoid its misuse. The residents while leaving the hostel at the end of the academic year or in the mid session must return the Card to the office of the Warden failing which the resident will have to pay Rs. 50/-before the securities are refunded.
(e) Any person who is a defaulter of hostel dues shall not be eligible for hostel admission till she produces no dues certificate from the concerned Hostel Warden.
- Visitors and Guests
- (a) A register will be maintained at the reception of each hostel to regulate outsiders’ entry.
(b) As a rule, guests are not permitted to stay overnight in any hostel. No Guest is allowed to stay in a Hostel without the prior permission of the Warden.
(c) Any resident having a guest without prior permission of the Warden and proper entry in guest register will be liable to minimum fine of Rs. 300/-and disciplinary action, in addition to the guest charges. Entry in the guest register maintained in the Hostel is mandatory by the resident. Residents not obeying this may lead to fine or/and expulsion from the hostel.
(d) If any outsider is found staying illegally without the prior permission of the Warden/DSW, the Warden concerned shall also be accountable for it.
Attendance and Leave
(i) A resident shall, under all circumstances, inform the Warden about her absence from the hostel. She shall sign the register maintained for this purpose.
(ii) Any student found absent from the hostel for more than two weeks without prior written permission from the Warden is liable to be punished. Her hostel admission shall be cancelled along with a minimum fine of Rs. 1000/-.
(iii) Assistant warden in hostel shall present themselves for daily roll call in the evening .
(iv) Hostel gate will be closed till Namaz e Maghrab. After that, no student is allowed to enter the hostel.There will be fines and other punishments for LATE ENTRIES as deemed fit by higher authorities.
(v)Students taking admission in the hostel for the first time must be accompanied by their parent/s.
(vi)Residents must enter a valid contact number and address in the home going register before proceeding on leave failing which fine will be charged.
(vii) Residents returning from home must report themselves before the roll call time.
- (a) Hostels have facilities for lunch and dinner as well as Canteen services. A resident shall have meals in the hostel mess/canteen only. It is mandatory for every resident to deposit their mess charges monthly
(b) Residents will not enter the cooking area.
(c) All complaints requiring immediate action of the Warden should be made in writing through a member of the Mess Committee.
- (a) No meals will be served in the rooms except in cases of illness or any other justified reason and that too with the permission of the Warden. Residents as well as contractors will be fined Rs.100/-for violating this rule each time. Meals should be taken only in Dining Hall.
(b) Complaints, if any, against the conduct of the contractors/servants may be made by the residents to the Warden in writing. No complaint about mess/canteen etc. shall be entertained if the complainant himself/herself is a defaulter.
- (a) Residents must switch off the light/fan while going out of the rooms. The defaulters will be fined a minimum of Rs. 50/-for each offence.
(b) Residents are not permitted to use any kind of electric appliances such as electric heaters, electric rods, electric irons, table fans, T.V. etc. in their rooms. Defaulters will be fined a minimum of Rs. 500/-for each offence.
(c) Residents will not tamper with or damage the electrical and sanitary installations. The cost of repairs/replacement due to any damage done to them, will be realized from the resident/s in addition to fine which may be imposed by the Warden.
- (a) Hostel fees will be charged from all the residents biannually.
(b) Securities (Hostel Mess and Canteen) will be refunded to a resident only after she has cleared all the dues and properly handed over the possession of the room. Securities will not be adjusted against the bills. Application for refund of securities along with a certificate from the higher authorities regarding the date of leaving the Department/last date of examination and the hostel identity card will be submitted three days before the intended date of leaving the hostel (when her mess/canteen accounts will be closed and she will eat on cash payment).
(c) The students who take admission in the hostel but fail to take the possession of the Room, the room rent will be deducted upto the period she informs to the Warden in writing. She will be given refundable securities after deducting the charges pertaining to the minimum diet and Mess/Canteen Charges etc. as per rules.
- 38. Admission of a resident who fails to pay the dues for two consecutive months shall stand cancelled and possession of the room shall be taken by the Warden and belongings removed to the store without any liability.
- 39. All residents are required to clear their hostel, mess, canteen and other dues and obtain a no-dues certificate before they vacate the hostel, failing which their names will be forwarded to the Controller of Examinations/Chairperson of the Department concerned for withholding the declaration of results/award of degree. Other disciplinary action, including forfeiture of their securities, may also be taken.
Government College Women University Sialkot offers hostel facility to the students coming from other cities and abroad. There is student hostel with official capacity of 400 seats in which Blocks are nominated for Graduates and Postgraduate Students. Due to limited accommodation facilities, the hostel seats are provided to the students only on merit based on marks obtained in previous class and distance from the university premises.
||Breakage (on Admission)
||Mess Charges (Per Month)
||Establishment fee + Room Rent (Per Month)
||Extra appliances charges(per appliance)
Note: Hostel Charges will not be increased 10 % this year.
Facilities Provided to Hostel Residents
- Qualified Administration
- Students Advisory Committee
- Water Filtered Electric Coolers
- T.V and Internet
- Better sanitary system
- Backup power supply system
- Spacious laundry
- Clean and spacious rooms
- Safe environment
These rules shall be applicable to the residential students of GCWUS:
During their stay at the GCWUS Hostel, the students shall be required to abide by certain Rules, failing which they risk expulsion both from the Hostel and the University. For this purpose, they are required to comply with the following Hostel Regulations:
- Only regular students of GCWUS are eligible for admission in the GCWUS Hostel.However, in exceptional cases, the Alumni may be permitted to stay in the Hostel for a short duration with the Authorities’ approval.
- Admission in hostel should also be merit based and local students should not be admitted in the hostel.
- Students taking admission in Hostel shall submit an application or an admission form in duplicate, duly completed, along with three passport size photographs to the Hostel Warden, who will be responsible for allotting rooms.
- The parent /guardian must provide a list of five visitors at the time of admission in hostel along with their passport size photographs, contact details and copies of CNIC.
- The parent / guardian must provide the names, contact number, photographs, CNIC and address of two persons who could be contacted in case of emergency,
- Allotment of rooms shall be made after the candidates have produced the payment receipt from the designated bank. They will pay prescribed mess fee per month to the warden in cash in the first week of every month.
- The applicants will have to furnish a written guarantee by their guardians, holding them responsible for the payment of the Hostel dues, in case of their wards fail to make the payment. A written guarantee shall also be provided by the resident and her guardian regarding observance of all Hostel Rules.
- Students/boarders are required to deposit the security deposit PKR. 2,000/- as well as monthly charges for the entire semester in advance at the time of admission to the Hostel. The Hostel charges will be fixed by the Hostel Committee of GCWUS from time to time.
- Residents shall be under the disciplinary control of the Warden, Strict disciplinary action will be taken against the students for indulging in Ragging that may lead to expulsion from GCWUS.
- Residents shall sign a receipt of Hostel property in their rooms and shall be responsible for any loss or damage.
- Residents are not allowed to change their rooms at their own accord, or allow a guest to stay overnight with them.
- Residents shall not be allowed to keep pets in their rooms.
- Residents should not disturb their fellow residents by playing radio, music player or any such instruments at a high volume, or by any other discomfort.
- Silence should be maintained strictly after 9:30 p.m. in the Hostel so that residents can devote their time to studies.
- No societies shall be formed and no meetings shall be held within the premises of the Hostel.
- Residents are not allowed to give tips or make any other kind of payment to the sweepers etc, or any other employee of the Hostel.
- Residents are advised in their own interest not to keep expensive articles or valuables in their rooms.
- Residents are prohibited from keeping any kinds of arms, ammunition or intoxicants in their possession. Non-observance of this rule shall be severely dealt with. Residents who are found in intoxicated condition will be expelled from the Hostel on a 24 hours’ notice.
- Residents committing serious offences such as violation of Rules and Regulations of the Hostel, holding meetings or collection of subscription without prior approval of the Authorities and non-payment of dues shall be subjected to disciplinary action, extending up to expulsion from the Hostel/GCWUS depending upon the seriousness of the offence.
- Residents once expelled from the Hostel shall not be admitted again or allowed to stay in the Hostel.
- Residents should leave the Hostel within one week after the declaration of their last examination results and report their departure to the Authorities after getting clearance.
- Residents shall be under obligation to conform all the Rules and Regulations that may be enforced in the Hostel from time to time.
- All residents should be in the Hostel after Maghrib prayer.
- Female visitors shall be received only in the guest room and under no circumstances female visitors will be allowed to enter individual rooms.
- All residents should ensure that the persons visiting them fill the necessary particulars in the register. No private parties or functions can be arranged by individuals or groups without prior permission of the Hostel Warden
- Residents are advised not to enter into any conflict with the employees of the Hostel. The complaints against the Hostel staff should be brought to the notice of the Hostel Warden.
- No resident(s) shall be allowed to take any crockery into his/her room without prior permission of the Mess Manager.
- No resident shall open the door of another resident’s room without his/her permission.
- All cases of illness should be immediately reported to the Hostel Warden, who shall make necessary arrangements for medical help.
- Hostel Warden may impose the following punishment upon the defaulters/violators of the above mentioned rules:
- The amount of fine should be decided by the discipline committee according to the nature of offence.
- Suspension of Gate pass for one week.
- All fines imposed shall be simultaneously reported to the Treasurer/ Additional Treasurer.
- Certificate /Degree/and other documents of a student involved in case of breach of discipline may be withheld till the final disposal of the case.
Ms. Asfa (Hostel Warden)
Ms. Shazia (Assistant Warden)