The Intermediate classes started in 1951, F.Sc classes in 1952 and B.Sc. in 1960. The College was upgraded into a Post Graduate College in 1989 offering Master Classes in the subject of English, Urdu and Islamiyat. BS Hons. 4 Years Degree Program was introduced by the Higher Education Department in 2010.
Keeping in view its immense educational growth rate, it attained the status of First Women University in Sialkot and was renamed as the Government College Women University, Sialkot. Granted its own charter in 2012 vide Govt. of the Punjab ACT 2012 (VII of 2013).
Prof. Dr. Nizamuddin, Vice Chancellor UOG took charge of GCWU, Sialkot on 18th of March 2014.
Prof. Dr. Farhat Saleemi joined as Vice Chancellor on 12th of September 2014.