In charge’s Message
IT Support Center of GCWUS is working with a mission to provide the latest ICT facilities to students, faculty and staff to enhance IT literacy. Our aim is to fulfill the growing needs of ICT in educational center in collaboration with other IT institutes and industry.Our focus is on connecting our students, faculty and staff through a secure platform of communication.
Furthermore, we are committed to provide them one window operation where all the issues of students, faculty and staff can be solved. We understand need of connecting with outer world for this purpose and we are also active on social media.
We are hopeful to make a difference in educational institutes with the power of technology
In charge IT Support Center
History of IT Support Centre
- Before the establishment of IT Support Center, Ms. Fakeeha Fatima, Ms. Aliza Basharat and Ms. Sehar Qayyum started to work on the website and social media like twitter and facebook page.
- IT Support Centre was established on 8th April 2016, with the vision of fulfilling the ICT needs of university under the guidelines of Prof. Dr. Farhat Saleemi (Vice Chancellor). At that time University had limited financial and human resources’. Tariq Mehmood was the chairman of the Committee and he took the initiative of providing internet facility. He deployed almost 50 TP link devices to facilitate the users with internet facility temporarily.
- After that charge of IT Support Centre was given to Ms. Aliza Basharat. At that time there was only one permanent member in ITSC Mr. Muhammad Tayyab. She worked to get human resource. Both members decided to start free internship program for the IT students. They hired two interns Ms. Sibgha Bilal and Ms. Ribha Shakoor. One faculty member on contract Ms. Iqra Ilyas joined ITSC as volunteer member as she had already worked with Dr. Tariq Mehmmood in network project.
- In a very short span of time this small team of 5 members started to work to gather information related to IT requirements of different departments in the University.
- Sibgha Bilal started to work on website. Ms. Faryal Gill worked with a website team to proof read the data with the help of some of her colleagues from the department of English. Ms. Faryal gill became a permanent member of the committee of ITSC.
- Some members from computer science department also helped in development of website like Ms. Sehar Qayyum and Ms. Sidra Anwar.
- While on other hand Mr. Muhammad Tayyab and Ms. Ribha Shakoor started to gather requirements for the automation of the university processes. Many meetings with faculty members were conducted under the chairmanship of Ms. Aliza Basharat.
ITSC’s BIG CHALLENGE
Being a budding institution, which was upgraded from the level of a college, ITSC faced many issues for example most of the faculty was not comfortable with the involvement of IT tools in daily tasks. ITSC took this issue as challenge and conducted several trainings to educate them.
- At the same time ITSC got funding for LAN project from Higher Education Department.
- Aliza Basharat established the certiport lab in collaboration with HEC and Tec access.
- In a short span of time University website was launched and LAN project also started. Moreover, a Video Conferencing Room with one computer lab was also established in the University.
- As human resources were not enough so ITSC hired Mr. Imran Mazhar a LAN /WAN technician and Mr. Usama Ashraf a Web Master. After some time, Mr. Usama Ashraf joined University as Assistant Network Administrator. All three members were on contract.
After a detailed analysis of the skills of team members Ms. Aliza Basharat members made the following three teams:
- Network Team:Network team worked very hard (Ms. Iqra Ilyas, Mr. Imran Mazhar, and Mr. Usama Ashraf) to execute the LAN project of the University in which 450 LAN connections were provided and a biometric attendance system was deployed.
- Software Team:Software team developed QEC and automated the processes of feedback from students and HR management. They also worked on student registration software that leads towards LMS (Learning Management Software). Both Mr. Muhammad Tayyab and Ms. Ribha Shakoor worked very hard on these projects.
- Website / Social Media Team: Meanwhile website and social media team moved the website to word press and improved its functionality and updated the website and social media with latest news and information.
- After the completion of LAN project, Ms. Aliza Basharat attended a training on SANOG by HEC in Islamabad and came to know about a project titled: Transformation Towards Smart Universities. Vice Chancellor gave her positive consent about the execution of the project and the project started in the University. Within a period of six month the project was completed successfully at PAT signed on 11-4-2018.
- In this project 1 PTZ camera, 129 indoor AP’s, 5 outdoor AP’s with 28 bullet cameras on boundary wall were installed. Now with the help of this project 90% coverage of WIFI is provided all over the University and 6530 users are using WIFI facility in campus with a 200 Mbps bandwidth.
- All members work with honesty and sincerity and it is a result of their efforts that within a short time University enjoys all the basic facilities of ICT now like digital library, DreamSpark, internet, website, social media, online lectures, oracle membership, Certiport testing center etc. But our work is not done yet, we have still a long way to go. The team is working on a lot of other projects and the list is given below:
Projects in pipeline
- Deployment of Office 365
- Launch of New website template
- Optimization of Network
- Designing of network on New land
- Establishment of IT Labs
- Establishment of Cisco training Centre