In this ever-growing world of awareness and learning, it is extremely vital to coop with the modern trends and techniques. Each day, something new is discovered which is making human life easier than ever. All thanks to research and innovation for making this world a better place to live. To lead in education today, it requires a zealous and resilient commitment and a deep research-based expertise. GC Women University Sialkot although in its early stages of establishment taken this initiative to encourages research culture and for this purpose, ORIC has been established. The primary aim of ORIC is to motivate and encourage faculty members and students of the university to engage in research activities. To ensure this, a lot of efforts will be made to create opportunities for both faculty members and students to learn from the experience of Professionals from leading industry giants. We are also committed to reduce the gap between industry and academia by improving the research standards and brushing up the skills of university human resource. It is also our commitment to provide excellence by aiming at high goals and taking the right direction.
Promotion of Research is one of the core strategic aims of HEC. The initiatives launched by HEC the quality & research outputs emanating from the universities and institutions in country have shown tremendous improvements. In pursuit of this end HEC has started working to organize the research activities under one umbrella by establishing Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC).ORIC established at the GC Women University Sialkot June 8, 2015 to provide strategic and operational support to the University’s research activities/program, and to have a central role in facilitating the University’s research outcomes.
Notification: (HEC approved establishment of ORIC On 12th July, 2016)
HEC approved establishment of ORIC office at GC Women University, Sialkot Higher Education Commission (HEC) had accredited the establishment of Office of Research Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) at GC Women University, Sialkot. A notification w.e.f July 12, 2016 issued by HEC says that by setting up ORIC, GCWUS now is eligible to receive funds from HEC for research activities such as Training workshops, holding seminars, Conferences in collaboration with HEC, Marketing of research for commercialization, networking events for business and industry for establishments of linkages etc.
ORIC-GCWUS take this opportunity to acknowledge that the achievement of this milestone in shortest possible time was only due to efforts, contribution and cooperation of the entire GCWUS faculty and Administration.
To promote and strengthen research culture in GCWUS and link the industry with university which would encourage and accelerate the process of creation and diffusion of knowledge that would serve the objective of establishment of HEI.
Research is used as an academic dialogue, to include not only the diverse activities relating to publication, performance and presentation.
ORIC’s mission is:
- To support and facilitate faculty and students efforts to expand the area of human knowledge, creativity and forms of expression, particularly in those disciplines in which University awards the graduate an M. Phil. degree.
- To contribute to improvements in professional practice through dissemination of research knowledge.
- To serve as a resource and depository for information and knowledge-base.
- To engage in research to contribute to development of Social Sciences, professional practice and technology.
Some goals of ORIC shall encompass the following:
- To encourage high quality of research which classifies GCWUS as among the best research oriented HEIs.
- To provide strategic and operational support to the GCWU’s research activities/program, and to have a central role in facilitating the GCWU’s research outcomes.
- To strengthen university-industry linkage through ORIC.
- National and international collaborations with public and private industries and universities in the form of MOU’s.
- Collaborations with foreign universities for facilitation of research.
- Providing support to the students and faculty in their research.
- To apply the research practically in order to improve the economy of the country.
- To develop collaboration with universities to form joint research projects.
- To work out for the publication of the research work carried out in the university.
- To promote entrepreneurship, technology-transfer and commercialization activities that energizes and supports the local and national economy.
- Arranging an Annual Research Seminar/Conference at GCWUS. One Conference annually by one department at a time.
- Research milestones are given to departments (3-4 Conference Papers and 2 Journal Publications in Impact Factor Journals every year).
- Increase the hiring and retention of top faculty.
- Incentives for faculty to write proposals and win research grants/write research papers out of meaningful research.
Functions of ORIC
- To work under the directions of HEC.
- Conduct two meetings a year with HEC.
- Identifying and informing the faculty about the research grants opportunities for them to apply and then assist them in acquiring funds from international and national funding agencies.
- To keep track of all the researches carried out in the university by faculty and staff and then commercialize the relevant research to reap maximum benefit for the industry and therefore translating the research into the public benefit.
- To deal with plagiarism cases and to advance an anti-plagiarism culture via powerful software for detecting plagiarism i.e. turnitin.
- Arranging seminars and workshops for the university’s students and faculty.
Structure of ORIC
- DirectorManage and enhance the research activities of the university, develop research policies and priorities, and serve as an effective advocate for research with the university and to its broader community of stakeholders and supporters.
- Manager Industrial linkagePromote the development of public-private partnerships in support of university research, link the university’s research community with the needs and priorities of the corporate sector, develop opportunities for applied research and explore opportunities for technology transfer and the commercialization of university research (including incubators and research parks).
- Manager Research DevelopmentDevelop programs and activities that will increase funding for research from all public and private sources, establish and maintain excellent relationships with donors and stakeholders, oversee proposal development and submission.